Cholsey CDT Membership Policy
1) Background Cholsey CDT is a charity, and a company limited by guarantee (Charity number: 1154165. Company number: 07589995). Therefore it must act in accordance with both Charity Law and Company Law. The Memorandum and Articles of Association set out how the organisation is governed and how the decision-making process is structured. As a charity, the organisation is required to consistently act in accordance with the objects stated in The Memorandum and Articles of Association. For Cholsey CDT these are summarised as: To …benefit the residents of Cholsey and the surrounding area, … by associating together the said residents and the local authorities, voluntary and other organisations in a common effort, to advance education and to provide facilities in the interests of social welfare for recreation leisure time occupation with the objective of improving the conditions of life for the residents.
… the trustees shall have the power to establish … community facilities and to maintain or manage or co-operate with any statutory authority in the maintenance and management of such facilities for activities promoted by the charity in furtherance of the above objects.
The promotion of the conservation, protection and improvement of the physical and natural environment for the public benefit by raising awareness of and encouraging practical steps to reduce levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.
2) Purpose of Membership The aims of the Trust are summarised as: a) Support Cholsey’s strong and vibrant community b) Encourage a low carbon and green lifestyle c) Own, maintain and effectively manage community land and buildings
The Trust welcomes and encourages membership from everyone in Cholsey who is in support of its aims. Members are invited and encouraged to influence the Trust’s decision making process as well as contributing to its aims and objectives, and to participate in the election process, to enable the Trust to operate effectively and to represent the community which it seeks to benefit.
3) Organisation Structure The organisational structure of the Community Trust is set out in the Memorandum and the Business Plan as:
Members of Cholsey CDT
Stakeholders Councils Trust Board
4) Membership Categories Membership is open to any individuals from the following categories:
- Resident Member, an individual resident in Cholsey
- Voluntary, Community and Faith User Group Member
- Business Member
- Local Elected Councillor Member (appointee)
- SOHA Housing Ltd Member (appointee)
- Other Members approved at the discretion of the Trustees
5) Benefits of Membership
- Regular updates on the Trust’s activities
- Opportunity to develop new projects / initiatives in partnership with the Trust
- Opportunity to support and be involved in the Trust’s community activities
- Personal invitation to General Meetings
- Right to vote at General Meetings (you must register to become a member at least 28 days before a general meeting to be eligible)
- Eligible to be nominated for election as a Trustee of Cholsey CDT
7) Responsibilities of Members Members are bound by the Memorandum and Articles of the Charitable Company and members are required to act in accordance with the Trust’s Charitable Objectives whenever undertaking any decision or activity under the authority of the Trust. The Trust further requires that Members adhere to all Trust policies and procedures when acting or undertaking any duties or task with regards to the Trust. Failure to do so could result in termination of membership.
8) Termination of Membership Termination is granted when any of the following applies:
- The member gives written notice of resignation to the Charity.
- The member dies or (in the case of an organisation) ceases to exist
- The member is six months in arrears in paying the relevant subscription (if any) (but in such a case the member may be re-instated on payment of the amount due)
- The member is removed from membership by resolution of the Trustees on the grounds that in their reasonable opinion the member’s continued membership is harmful to the Charity (but only after notifying the member in writing and considering the matter in the light of any written representations which the member concerned puts forward within 14 clear days after receiving notice).
It should be noted that membership is not transferable.
9) Liability of Members The liability of members is limited to £1.00. This means that if the Charity is dissolved within 12 months of the member holding membership then each member promises to pay £1 towards the cost of dissolution and any liabilities.
10) Cholsey CDT Friends Payment of the Resident Levy (applicable at Fair Mile / Cholsey Meadows) or CDT Friends Subscription is not part of this membership scheme and payment of the Residents Levy does not equate to membership of the Trust. Any member of the Friends scheme wishing to become a Member should complete the membership form. Any member wishing to subscribe as a Friend should complete the Friends of Cholsey CDT form.
See also separate Friends of Cholsey CDT Policy.
Cholsey CDT Membership Policy Updated June 2018